Monday, March 19, 2012

latest works





I am finding working very small is so useful to learn how to compose my landscapes a bit better. They are mostly ideas and there have been thoughts on trying to capture more intimate misty trees, as in being in a wood, to standing back and sketching and painting trees. I am not keen on acrylics but have managed to find a handful of colours recently that are more natural. I used a glazing medium and started off painting in flesh coloured tones then moving onto bamboo and terte verte colours. As the paint dries so quickly it is useful for a learning purpose for me to establish what colours I can use for a bigger painting. The top sketch was done in water soluble graphite pencils and they are great to use out on location when you don't want to have to carry lots of paints out with you. I am relying more on memory and from making notes too when outside. I learned a great deal on working out in the field on Deborah's latest classes which were very helpful in getting me to work more from life and not to rely on the camera.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Caroline! What a delight to hear from you and see your latest work. I have so enjoyed your paintings you have posted on Facebook and now to see the process you go through is very inspiring. I really like the top sketch with the graphite pencil. Your sensitive details are so unique to you and they carry through in all your work. Also it is so interesting to see your color studies. It is obvious much thought goes into these studies and I'm sure it pays off when doing the larger paintings. Very inspiring! Thanks for posting these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phoebe thank you for your lovely comments. Those thumbnails are a good way of learning that is for sure. Thanks for visiting me over at Facebook I need to post some more work there soon. Look forward to seeing some more of your beautiful pen and ink tree work again soon.

    ReplyDelete